If your camera isn't sending pictures, and we can't resolve it remotely, you'll need to visit your camera. We recommend bringing a fresh set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries with you, just in case the issue is related to low batteries. Here are the steps we recommend taking while you're at your camera:
1. Battery Check - Turn the camera to SETUP mode. The screen will light up. If it doesn't light up, or it lights up temporarily then turns off, please replace your batteries and try again. If your camera is connected to a solar panel, the battery indicator will show FULL. To confirm that your AAs still have a charge, please temporarily unplug your solar panel. If your batteries died faster than you'd expect, you can review tips to extend your battery life here.
Things you might notice on your camera screen:
- NO CARD - please turn your camera OFF. Then eject your SD card by pushing it in to active the spring ejection (bottom of camera). Re-insert your SD card so it clicks in flush with the bottom edge of the camera. Then turn your camera back to SETUP mode.
- NO SIM - please turn your camera OFF. Then eject your SIM card by pushing it in to active the spring ejection (left side of camera behind ICCID sticker). If you're unsure how to eject and reinsert your SIM card, this video might be helpful. Re-insert your SIM card so it clicks in flush with the left edge of the camera. Then turn your camera back to SETUP mode.
- Module Error - please call us for help, we'll likely need to ship you a replacement camera.
If your camera screen stays on and doesn't display the above error messages, then we can proceed.
2. Settings Check - It's not uncommon to fat-finger a setting. While in SETUP mode, please reset your settings by pressing the MENU button. Then arrow right three clicks to OTHER. Then arrow up to RESET and press OK. Then confirm. Your phone app is unable to read and update itself based on settings changes physically made in the camera. To make sure that your app and camera are synced click Restore Factory Default Settings.
3. Test Picture - After 1 and 2 above are complete, we will take a test picture. With the camera in SETUP mode, it will go through SEARCHING and GPS SEARCHING. After these disappear from your camera screen, you should see signal bars on your camera screen. Press the OK button to take and send a test picture. The camera should display SENDING, then SEND SUCCEED.
3a. If your camera says NO SIGNAL, turn the camera OFF, then turn it to SETUP to reinitiate SEARCHING. If you do this three times and it still says NO SIGNAL, call us right away for help.
3b. If after sending, your camera displays SEND FAILED 403, then this is related to your SD card. Steps to solve this can be found here.
3c. If after sending, your camera displays SEND FAILED ###, with a 3-digit number other than 403, this issue is related to cellular connectivity. Please call us while you're at the camera and we can help.
4. Motion testing - If your picture sends successfully, and you see it in the media page of your app, you can turn the camera up to the ON position. The screen will go black, then within a minute or two, the camera will be ready to look for motion. Walk back and forth in front of the camera a few times to trigger a picture. The picture should arrive on your phone within 30-60 seconds after it gets taken.
5. Mount - sometimes, the camera will work fine, but the mount is preventing it from capturing motion effectively. Check out these tips to make sure your mount is good.
6. Firmware Check - If the stamp on the bottom left of your pictures looks like either of the following, then you might need to upgrade your camera firmware. Instructions can be found here. If you need an SD card to complete this upgrade, select the option to have us send you a card and use promo code FAREWELL3G at checkout for a free SD card.
Old firmware, upgrade recommended (all caps)
Old firmware, upgrade recommended (all yellow)
Current firmware, no need to upgrade
Don't hesitate to call our support team for help while you're at your camera. We understand that your time is valuable and we want to help you solve any issues quickly.